It all comes down to role models. Are you ready to inspire a girl? Here's a short guide to get you started!
1. Find out if something is already being planned.
Does your company, engineering society, or university host Girl Day events? Get involved.
2. Create opportunities to inspire.
Introducing a girl to engineering can happen anywhere and at any time. Think about what works for you and your energy level. You can:
- Visit a classroom or afterschool program. In just 45 minutes you can tell them about your job, how it makes a difference in the world, do a hands-on activity, and answer their questions.
- Invite a small group of girls to visit you at work or on your college campus. You can give them a tour, introduce them to your female colleagues, show them a project you or your colleagues are working on, and even feed them lunch.
3. Reach Girls.
Contact your company’s employee engagement coordinator or K-12 outreach group to see if they have relationships with local groups. If no pre-existing relationships exist, the National Girls Collaborative Project has a rich database of local girl serving organizations.
4. Select Activities.
You want fun, hands-on engineering activity ideas? We’ve got tons to choose from!
5. Use effective messages about engineering.
6. New to working with girls or hosting an event?
Check out our short online training that that walks you through the ins and outs of leading hands-on activities.
7. Share your plans.