Bollinger Mill State Historic Site
In 1800, George Frederick Bollinger, who moved to the area from North Carolina, began construction of a mill, water wheel, and dam on the Whitewater River. Originally built of logs, it was remodeled in 1825 using limestone. During the Civil War, Union forces burned the mill to prevent it from getting into rebel hands. After the war, Bollinger's heirs sold the site to Solomon Burford, who rebuilt the mill on the original stone foundation. Completed in 1867, it likely took advantage of the latest engineering innovations, from its 4-story brick construction to its conveyors, separators, scourers, and water-driven turbine.
Welcome to the DiscoverE community!
Activity Type:Trips and Destinations
Discipline:Industrial & Manufacturing, Mechanical
Grade:K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
Fun Fact:The Burfordville Covered Bridge, oldest of Missouri's four surviving covered bridges, is right by the mill. Built in 1858-68 by Joseph Lansmon, the 140-foot, yellow-poplar bridge had, at one time, a toll house. Lansmon used a Howe truss design, which uses diagonal wooden compression members with vertical iron rods in tension to form the trusses.