Start Your Engines
The following ideas will give your students or child a chance to explore engineering. Whether they have five minutes or five months, they’ll learn more about themselves, refine their goals, gain a richer perspective about the world of engineering, and maybe even boost their college applications!
In Five Minutes
Go to Cool Content and Activities and select videos and games to:
- Watch a video about engineering
- Play an online engineering game
In Sixty Minutes
Talk to an engineer or technician. Ask them:
- What kind of projects do you work on?
- What do you like about your job?
- What do you wish you knew about engineering before you started in this career?
Parents: Do you know any engineers or technicians? Have your child contact them and ask if they’d be willing answer a few questions about their work.
Educators: Invite an engineer or technician into your classroom to talk about their work and how they got interested in the field.
In One Day
- Visit a science museum.
- Go to a local engineering event. Check out DiscoverE's calender to see if there are events near you.
- Tour a college campus.
Over a School Semester
- Take an engineering or technology class.
- Compete in the Future City competition.
Over the Summer
- Go to an engineering-themed camp.
- Get a summer job or internship at an engineering company.