Girls Night Out
Dream Big introduces audiences to three female engineers who are powerful role models. Show the girls in your community what careers in engineering look like by hosting a Girls Night Out event. Simply combine a screening of the Dream Big film with female engineers and undergraduates, then add in some hands-on activities, and you’ll have a fun-filled evening that’s sure to spark a girl’s imagination.
Blueprint for Success
1. With the Dream Big film as its centerpiece, consider hosting your event at a museum theater.
2. Invite a dynamic female engineer to introduce the film, or have a panel of female engineers from different backgrounds take questions at the end. The film features two New Faces of Engineering nominees. Consider including a New Face in your program.
3. Include female engineering students as role models. They can bridge the age and experience gap between the working engineers and girls.
5. Following the film, seat the girls and engineers and undergraduates at round tables to facilitate discussion.
7. Make sure you invite the girls' female relatives or teachers. Show them how they can sustain enthusiasm and interest in engineering after the event.
8. Prepare a flyer with information about other local ways to explore engineering or scholarship information.
9. Serve really good snacks.
10. Partner with the engineering community to help identify speakers, recruit volunteers or sponsor the event.
11. Use Dream Big’s resources —logos, photos, and artwork— to enhance your event and promotional efforts.
A Few More Details
To start planning your event, download the Girls Night Out Planning Guide.
Visit the Girls Night Out Resources Page for additional materials and resources for planning your event.
Review and share with your speakers and role models DiscoverE’s Five Powerful Messages When Talking to Girls About Engineering.
Encourage the engineers and engineering students who participate in your event to sign up as Girl Day Role Models.