Bell Girl Day Grants Overview
The 2021-2022 application for Bell Girl Day Grants is available! Due to COVID-19, in person and virtual events are eligible for funding. Be creative. We want to hear how you plan to celebrate Girl Day.
Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day (Girl Day) is an annual campaign that takes place during Engineers Week with the goal of introducing girls to the fascinating world of engineering. DiscoverE is excited to make available a limited number of grants ranging between $500 and $1000 for Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day programs taking place on and around Girl Day. Funding is available for Girl Day events scheduled to take place January through April 2022.
- Individuals or organizations located in the United States.
- Applicants who received a grant within the last three years are not eligible to apply. New applications from individuals or organizations who previously applied for a Bell Girl Day grant, and were not accepted, will be considered.
- The project/program must target girls age 5 to 18.
- Applications must be submitted online. Please note: The online form cannot save partially completed applications. Be sure to assemble all the content and return to the online form when you are ready to submit an application.
- A short report is due upon project completion. Reports will be submitted online and are due within 30 days after the event is completed.
- Digital photos and quotes/anecdotes from the project/program must be submitted for the report to be considered complete.
- Photo releases will be required for all report photos. Download the release form for adults and the release form for minors. For large events where releases are not possible, be sure to post a sign notifying attendees that photos may be taken and used by DiscoverE for educational purposes. Preview the language here.
- Programs need not be new, but must meet all other requirements.
- The Bell Girl Day Grants are intended to help fund programs and events led by not-for-profit organizations. If you are applying as a for-profit organization or corporation, your application may not be considered.
- Grants range between $500 and $1000. When submitting your request, please include your event/program budget and list other sources of funding.
- Funds will be disbursed in two payments, 50% will be paid upon grant approval and the remaining 50% will be paid upon receipt of the final report, event photos and signed photo releases. The final report, event photos and signed photo releases are due within 30 days after completion of the event.
- Funds may be used for virtual meeting platform, site rental; food/non-alcoholic drinks (lunches for students, etc.); transportation, photography, educational materials, essential project supplies, and postage.
- Funds may not be used for alcoholic beverages, salaries or stipends, indirect charges/administrative overhead, capital expenditures or computer hardware.
- Deadline: Applications are due November 5, 2021 (11:59 pm eastern).
- Applications will be reviewed by the DiscoverE grant administrator.
- Applicants will be notified of a decision by early December.
- Projects/programs must be completed on or around Girl Day (January-April 30, 2022).
Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day events can include, but are not limited to:
- Host an in person or virtual event where girls can meet and speak with female engineers and engineering students.
- Choose an activity, purchase and deliver supplies to event attendees, and host a virtual event. See more ideas at our At Home Engineering page.
- Organize a trip or virtual trip to a local science center or to see the film, Dream Big, and plan hands-on activities for afterward.
- Hold a presentation for high school girls and a Q&A with professionals in the field.
- Visit a classroom or work with organizations like, Girls, Inc., Girl Scouts, National Girls Collaborative Project or Boys and Girls Clubs of America to work with students in K-12 through fun hands-on activities.
- Organize an engineering fair or festival for girls. Haven't organized a large event before? Learn how here. Be sure to follow your local COVID-19 guidelines.
Get more ideas! Download the Sample Girl Day Events document and learn how others have organized Girl Day events.
The Bell Girl Day Grant from DiscoverE honors the work of longtime Girl Day champion, Truman Bell of ExxonMobil. His dedication to introducing girls to engineering has served as a model for DiscoverE's partners and volunteers
Ready to apply? Click here for the application.